The “maker” movement is simply the DIY creative spirit reignited for the 21st century. It’s a return to self-sufficiency, self-reliance and creativity, providing engaging and hands-on opportunities to inspire, educate, and entertain curious and creative learners of all ages. It celebrates arts, crafts, engineering, food, green design, music, science and technology and brings together communities who embrace the DIY (do-it-yourself) spirit. There are lots of ways to “make” education happen in this very active learning experience, and to engage students in active learning at Gulf Coast MakerCon.
We’ve compiled some resources for educators interested in visiting Gulf Coast MakerCon with their students, or just looking for classroom take-aways. The weekend will be rich with hands on learning opportunities for all ages, and will hopefully inspire some ideas for classroom enrichment in the process.
The overall goal of Gulf Coast MakerCon is to help people of all ages become empowered creators of their future and ours, to feel capable of creating, repairing, inventing, adapting, handling, trying , and becoming active and engaged producers instead of passive consumers . To that end we hope that both youth and adults will take the opportunity of Gulf Coast MakerCon to:
- Meet and interact with all our Makers, who are sharing their unique passions and projects.
- Explore the wide variety of exhibits and presentations that will be available throughout the weekend.
- Experience a live performance or demonstration.
- Engage in a hands-on project or activity that you can take home.
- Collaborate on a project or share experiences with people of all ages.
- Learn about the power of the Maker community.
- Be inspired, as a student or member of the public, to try at least one new idea at home or at school.
- Be inspired, as a teacher, to bring at least one new idea for active making into the classroom.
- Get a sense of the wonder and value of following your passion!
- Inspire Curiosity in the world around you!
If you’re a public school teacher in Hillsborough, Pinellas, Pasco, or Polk county and would like to bring groups of ten or more students to Gulf Coast MakerCon, please drop us a line at email@example.com so we can provide you with a classroom rate, and help maximize the educational impact of your visit.